Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Miss you

I recently ran into someone that I don't see anymore and I don't talk to anymore. Not for a lack of trying on my part. When we saw each other, we hugged, and she said, "I miss you!"
At first, this smacked to me of insincerity, since, if she did in fact miss me, she could call-email-facebook-visit. (we live in the age of communication for fucks sake) Then, I thought about it, and the numerous times that a similar situation has happened to me over the years... and well maybe it IS sincere, but just not accurate.
Maybe instead of missing ME per-se, she missed the good times that were had at the time when we were close. And there were so MANY good times. Much laughter, which there is with ALL of my friendships.
It is sad when people grow apart, but when you see someone that you used to be really good friends with, don't say 'miss you'. Say, 'Man, we had some good times!' It flavors the current relationship with a clear conscious. There are no regrets of 'miss you' which seems to me to say, 'wish we still hung out'.

2 comments:

Inky Neverwhere said...

I always feel guilty when a friendship fades, like I should have been that close to someone forever. That just isn't realistic. I like the idea of acknowledging the past good times without indicating a void that isn't really there.

Did you ever get that chain email thingy about friendships lasting for a reason, a season, or a lifetime?

Jewels said...

No, I don't get a lot of chain emails thankfully, although, I always read them when I get them.